Dealing with “Maskne” or mask acne is so frustrating!
I tried a Korean skincare routine a few months ago, and it did help my maskne clear up faster. However, I still get red bumps here and there, so I wanted to test another Korean skincare line for sensitive and blemish-prone skin.
“COSRX?” That was the first thing I said when a friend of mine mentioned the brand. She told me that it’s one of the best Korean skincare brands in the market. I googled COSRX and was impressed by its focus on effective and well-formulated ingredients. The company also kept its packaging simple, so it can make its prices more affordable. Skincare experts and enthusiasts were raving about this brand, so I knew I’d got to try it and see for myself if the products were worth the hype.
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored by COSRX. The skincare items featured below are the ones I’m currently loving and using in my routine. Some of the links are affiliate links. This means, if you buy something through these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me a lot to keep my blog running. Thank you for your continuous support.
First, I bought a trial-size kit from Ulta. The products worked well with my skin, so I ordered the full-sized Skincare Heroes Set from Stylevana, plus a few more items to include in my maskne skincare regimen. After using these items for several weeks now, I can truly say that these products have helped keep my “maskne” at bay. Sharing with you the 5-Step Skincare Routine That Helped Me Get Rid of “Maskne.”
- Key Ingredients: Tea Tree Leaf Oil (anti-acne, antioxidant), Cryptomeria Japonica Leaf Extract (anti-inflammatory)
- The normal skin ph level ranges from 4-6. Anything that disrupts the skin’s natural balance can lead to irritations. I love that this water-based gel cleanser has a low ph formula of 5. It’s a gentle, non-stripping cleanser that leaves my skin feeling so clean and fresh.
- Key Ingredients: Glycolic Acid (AHA exfoliant), Betaine Salicylate (BHA exfoliant)
- COSRX has a wide array of toners. I chose this one because of the mild AHA/BHA formulation. Glycolic acid helps remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. Betaine Salicylate is a mild exfoliator that penetrates pores and breaks down sebum and keratin buildup.
- Key Ingredients: Snail Secretion Filtrate (skin repair and regeneration), Sodium Hyaluronate (humectant)
- Snail mucin is known in the K-beauty world as a powerful ingredient to hydrate, repair, and stimulate collagen production. I’ve tried different Western and Korean products before, and so far, this is on top of My Best Skincare Products list. I was blown away by how rejuvenated my skin feels after using this essence. My “maskne” scars are slowly fading away. And my skin looks plump and healthy. No wonder this 96% snail mucin filtrate is the brand’s bestselling product.
- Key Ingredients: Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice/Birch Sap (hydrates, calms skin), Glycerin (humectant)
- Birch sap is loaded with skin-loving ingredients such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This lotion contains 70% Birch sap, which helps reduce inflammation and calm irritated skin. I’ve been looking for an affordable lightweight moisturizer that’s hydrating and soothing – this one fits the bill.
- Key Ingredients: Tinosorb S (broad-spectrum sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide (broad-spectrum sunscreen), Aloe Leaf Extract (soothes skin)
- Sunscreen is the most important step in any morning skincare routine. AHA and BHA products can make the skin more susceptible to sun damage. Thus, it is vital to use broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. This Aloe Soothing Sun Cream offers major protection with SPF 50+. It is non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and doesn’t leave any white cast on my skin.
My PM Routine is so much similar to my AM Routine. The difference is, of course, I won’t need that sunscreen anymore. Also, I double cleanse at night, starting with an oil cleanser to easily melt away stubborn face and eye makeup.
Then, I’ll wash my face with the water-based cleanser, prep my skin with the toner, apply the power essence, and seal all that goodness with my nourishing moisturizer.
One last thing…
Another awesome COSRX product that I only use as needed is the Acne Pimple Master Patch. It’s a thin, clear, and waterproof hydrocolloid patch that eliminates bacteria and absorbs gunk overnight. After double cleansing, I stick this to the red and ugly bump that I want to zap. The patch works wonders by shrinking my pimple and making it disappear faster. This is definitely a must-have to any Anti-Maskne arsenal.
I know that this skincare regimen is not a guarantee that I will never suffer from maskne again. Multiple factors can cause breakouts: friction, heat, sweat, sebum, dirt, clogged pores, bacteria, etc. When it comes to maskne, there’s only so much we can do. Yet, I’m glad that I’ve found a simple and effective skincare routine to help me prevent and fight maskne.
Do you have an anti-maskne skincare routine? What are some of your favorite products for sensitive and acne-prone skin? Any other tips to prevent maskne? Please share in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!