Dealing with “Maskne” or mask acne is so frustrating!
I tried a Korean skincare routine a few months ago, and it did help my maskne clear up faster. However, I still get red bumps here and there, so I wanted to test another Korean skincare line for sensitive and blemish-prone skin.
“COSRX?” That was the first thing I said when a friend of mine mentioned the brand. She told me that it’s one of the best Korean skincare brands in the market. I googled COSRX and was impressed by its focus on effective and well-formulated ingredients. The company also kept its packaging simple, so it can make its prices more affordable. Skincare experts and enthusiasts were raving about this brand, so I knew I’d got to try it and see for myself if the products were worth the hype.
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored by COSRX. The skincare items featured below are the ones I’m currently loving and using in my routine. Some of the links are affiliate links. This means, if you buy something through these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me a lot to keep my blog running. Thank you for your continuous support.
First, I bought a trial-size kit from Ulta. The products worked well with my skin, so I ordered the full-sized Skincare Heroes Set from Stylevana, plus a few more items to include in my maskne skincare regimen. After using these items for several weeks now, I can truly say that these products have helped keep my “maskne” at bay. Sharing with you the 5-Step Skincare Routine That Helped Me Get Rid of “Maskne.”
COSRX Low pH Good Morning Cleanser
- Key Ingredients: Tea Tree Leaf Oil (anti-acne, antioxidant), Cryptomeria Japonica Leaf Extract (anti-inflammatory)
- The normal skin ph level ranges from 4-6. Anything that disrupts the skin’s natural balance can lead to irritations. I love that this water-based gel cleanser has a low ph formula of 5. It’s a gentle, non-stripping cleanser that leaves my skin feeling so clean and fresh.
COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
- Key Ingredients: Glycolic Acid (AHA exfoliant), Betaine Salicylate (BHA exfoliant)
- COSRX has a wide array of toners. I chose this one because of the mild AHA/BHA formulation. Glycolic acid helps remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. Betaine Salicylate is a mild exfoliator that penetrates pores and breaks down sebum and keratin buildup.
COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
- Key Ingredients: Snail Secretion Filtrate (skin repair and regeneration), Sodium Hyaluronate (humectant)
- Snail mucin is known in the K-beauty world as a powerful ingredient to hydrate, repair, and stimulate collagen production. I’ve tried different Western and Korean products before, and so far, this is on top of My Best Skincare Products list. I was blown away by how rejuvenated my skin feels after using this essence. My “maskne” scars are slowly fading away. And my skin looks plump and healthy. No wonder this 96% snail mucin filtrate is the brand’s bestselling product.
COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap
- Key Ingredients: Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice/Birch Sap (hydrates, calms skin), Glycerin (humectant)
- Birch sap is loaded with skin-loving ingredients such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This lotion contains 70% Birch sap, which helps reduce inflammation and calm irritated skin. I’ve been looking for an affordable lightweight moisturizer that’s hydrating and soothing – this one fits the bill.
COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF 50+ PA+++
- Key Ingredients: Tinosorb S (broad-spectrum sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide (broad-spectrum sunscreen), Aloe Leaf Extract (soothes skin)
- Sunscreen is the most important step in any morning skincare routine. AHA and BHA products can make the skin more susceptible to sun damage. Thus, it is vital to use broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. This Aloe Soothing Sun Cream offers major protection with SPF 50+. It is non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and doesn’t leave any white cast on my skin.
My PM Routine is so much similar to my AM Routine. The difference is, of course, I won’t need that sunscreen anymore. Also, I double cleanse at night, starting with an oil cleanser to easily melt away stubborn face and eye makeup.
Then, I’ll wash my face with the water-based cleanser, prep my skin with the toner, apply the power essence, and seal all that goodness with my nourishing moisturizer.
One last thing…
Another awesome COSRX product that I only use as needed is the Acne Pimple Master Patch. It’s a thin, clear, and waterproof hydrocolloid patch that eliminates bacteria and absorbs gunk overnight. After double cleansing, I stick this to the red and ugly bump that I want to zap. The patch works wonders by shrinking my pimple and making it disappear faster. This is definitely a must-have to any Anti-Maskne arsenal.
I know that this skincare regimen is not a guarantee that I will never suffer from maskne again. Multiple factors can cause breakouts: friction, heat, sweat, sebum, dirt, clogged pores, bacteria, etc. When it comes to maskne, there’s only so much we can do. Yet, I’m glad that I’ve found a simple and effective skincare routine to help me prevent and fight maskne.
Do you have an anti-maskne skincare routine? What are some of your favorite products for sensitive and acne-prone skin? Any other tips to prevent maskne? Please share in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!
33 responses to “This 5-Step Skincare Routine Helped Me Get Rid of “Maskne””
I love discovering new skin care ideas as I myself have (over the last couple of years) really tried to focus on getting into a better routine with it all. I still get outbreaks of acne, which I feel should have stopped at my age, haha, but I know that I can get it under control. I like the sound of the oil-free moisturizer you mentioned here as I need oil-free products. Thanks for sharing!
I’ve been dealing with pimples since I was a teenager. I thought it will stop too at a certain age. LOL. Though it’s not as bad as before, I’m glad that I have found these products to prevent and treat my breakouts.
Thanks for sharing your skincare routine with us, it’s always useful to have people’s recommendations when it comes to these things. Maskne has been such a nuisance this year so it’d be nice to get it cleared up in time for the holidays.
Thank you also for reading:)
Maskne is so irritating!! We’re here trying to protect ourselves but our skins says… no! Love the different products you use to help skin!! COSRX has some great ingredients and love that they’re super affordable. The whole routine is straight forward and like that it doesn’t require too much effort! I need to look into the acne patches. Thanks for sharing this!!
Nancy ✨ mdrnminimalists.com
Yes! Love the pimple patches. Thanks for reading Nancy!
Its great that you have noticed such a difference and have found products that work for you. These sound like lovely products and I’d like to try them myself.
The patches are awesome. Thanks for reading Kelly Diane 🙂
These products sound great! Maskne is honestly the bane of my life so desperately trying to clear my skin up!! x
Maskne is so annoying. Hope you’ll find a good regimen for your skin too.
Great information! This product looks like it works very well for you. Luckily I don’t have to wear my mask for long – just for shopping or to grab a coffee so maskne hasn’t been a problem yet for me. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for reading 🙂
I’m glad this routine has been working well for you and you chose some products with good actives. I can’t wear a mask for long due to a previous health issue so one perk is that I haven’t had to deal with maskne x
Thanks for reading Sophie 🙂
Thanks for the reminder I need to use SPF everyday! haha!
Katie | katieemmabeauty.com
I haven’t been using one before and didn’t realize how important it is until a few months ago. So far, I’ve been using SPF consistently now everyday.
Great post! Thank you for sharing this! Lately, I have been dealing with maskne so I’ll definitely be check out some of these products!
Thanks for reading. Hope the products will work well with your skin too.
I haven’t heard of COSRX before, but these products sound great! In Denmark they recently made the restriction that you have to wear masks inside public building & my skin isn’t liking that!
Oh no…. hope you’ll find a good regimen to calm and make your skin look and feel better.
I’ve not heard of any of these products but they sound amazing and I’m so glad they helped get rid of your maskne xx
Thank you Della 🙂
I haven’t heard of this brand before, but they sound promising! I’m glad this works well for you.
You know, I’ve broken out on my chin and I was annoyed. But it never occured to me it could be from wearing my mask. Duh. Thanks.
It’s really annoying to get zits on the chin. Hope you’ll be able to get rid of your breakouts soon.
I don’t have a maskne routine, but yours sounds good. I do use those acne patches for the pimples that do show up.
Thanks Evelyn. I’m really glad to finally find the right products that help me fight maskne.
[…] This 5-Step Skincare Routine Helped Me Get Rid of Maskne […]
[…] blemishes. The products (cleanser, toner, essence, moisturizer) saved my skin from mask acne. Click here if you want to read more about my not-so-secret skincare regimen to fight […]
[…] shared with you my go-to skincare routine to fight maskne. This year, I’d like to test a few more K-beauty products formulated to help […]
[…] to Korean skincare, I’ve found a simple and effective skincare routine to help me prevent and fight acne. My next challenge was how to fade my dark spots and get naturally glowing […]